Summer is here!

The summer solstice is nearly a month away, but I'm going to call it.  We've had 90˚+ for two days, Henry has been in the kiddie pool three times in two days, and...






...the tomatoes are in the ground.  I planted four varieties: Wisconsin 55, Roma, Brandywine and Juliet grape.  I usually do 6 or 7 tomato plants, but it is very hard to can at boiling hot temps with a child underfoot, so I scaled back.







I also got a little silly in the garden, like these gnomes guarding the snap peas from the naughty chipmunks.


I was in the garden tonight until 9:30pm.  I don't usually garden in the dark, but I had more seeds to plant and 80˚ and dark was better than 90˚ plus and sunny.  I almost started a rhubarb pie when I got in tonight, but my energy fizzled out.

Oh!  I thought of one last harbinger of summer:  we leave to go camping tomorrow!  I may have to make the pie before we leave.  We used to be backpack campers, but if we have to do car camping with a baby, we might as well enjoy some homemade pie.

.

2 comments:

melissa said...

well if summer has to be here already at least it comes with garden gnomes!!
we only have one, and he's reading a book. but you're making me want to go out and get some other, more vigilant, gnomes to help keep the bunnies away from our garden!!
(there, now you can add gnome-pusher to our list of things you've influenced me about!)

Britt said...

I concur that summer is definitely here.

My internal monologue this morning was, "Must ... get ... out ... of ... bed ... before ... it ... gets ... hotter."

I was cooled off by a couple of lovely sun-showers while I ran, though!

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)