Rhubarb (kind of) Pie

This week I harvested the last of the rhubarb for the year.  I already made a pie at the beginning of the season, froze a few bags of chopped rhubarb for winter pies, and made rhubarb sauce (heavenly over vanilla bean ice cream).  So, it was time for the last rhubarb custard pie of the season.  I made it crustless--because I was too lazy to deal with the making one and I don't really need the calories of more flour and butter.  It turned out pretty well, so I thought I'd share the recipe here.


Rhubarb Custard Pie Filling:
source: a classic cookbook in my moms kitchen (Betty Crocker? Better Homes and Gardens? I really can't remember)  

Chop 4 cups of fresh rhubarb

Mix the following in a bowl:
1 and 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
dash of salt
3 beaten eggs

Stir in the rhubarb, pour into a glass pie plate (buttered if you are skipping the crust).  Dot mixture with 2 Tablespoons of butter.  Bake at 400˚ for 50 minutes.

Serve in a bowl while still warm and then tell me if you miss the crust.
You might just be a pie crust kind of person.  That's okay.  This recipe is very delicious with a lattice top, too.



Let me know if you try it! 
.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I have never seen a rhubarb pie like this. Looks scrumptious

Gina said...

Currently obsessed with rhubarb - thanks for fueling the obsession!

melissa said...

ooooh yum! this looks fantastic!!

cmv said...

ooh that looks so good! i adore rhubarb!

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)