Embracing imperfections

We took this picture last week Thursday.  It is the last one before drove off late on Friday to move to Maryland.  I put a lot of work and heart into this house and on that final day, I really struggled with leaving some projects unfinished.  Thankfully my friend, Tina, gave me a good talking to.  We delegated a few projects to friends and neighbors and left some just be.  It was a good thing, too.  Ben started work on Monday and we've been swamped ever since.

house and family


Anyway, in the spirit of accepting imperfections, I thought I'd share a few pictures from my Baptist fan quilting adventure.

I marked every single line on the quilt, which took a *lot* of time.

baptist fan quilting


Here is the template I made by tracing the curves of a dinner plate and marking where the fans started and ended as well as the square lines for the quilt.

baptist fan quilting


I ran out of the plastic template material so the inside curves were made with paperboard.

baptist fan quilting


I used these marking pencils from Joann Fabrics.  I can't say that I love them.  The leads broke often and it took three washings to get the blue out.  I'll need to try a different marking tool next time.

baptist fan quilting


Even with the curves marked, my sewing lines are a little rough when you look closely.

baptist fan quilting

baptist fan quilting


Thankfully, after a wash (or three) and taking a step back, the quilt looks crinkly and lovely. 

donation quilt


I hope that showing some of my imperfections will inspire someone else to jump in and try some fan quilting.  I planned from the beginning to give this quilt to charity so I didn't sweat the mistakes as much.  Let me know if you try it out.

10 comments:

Debbie said...

Great job on the quilting! It looks really great to me!! And blessings with the move - not easy times...

Becca said...

I love this quilt... I hope to use fans someday

Laura said...

Don't be so critical of your quilting! Be proud that you actually quilted the thing by yourself. It looks great!

Flaun of I Plead Quilty! said...

Well, they look a good sight better than my first stab at Baptist fans. Maybe I need your template!

Lindsey said...

so that is how that is done! as always you are an inspiration!

Gina said...

I can see why you had a hard time leaving your home; it is so cute!! I love baptist fan quilting and yours is beautiful!! Hope you are liking Maryland and settling in.

Anna said...

Love your quilting! I have a question - I hope I'm not missing something obvious here - but how did you join the fans together? Where did you go after you'd finished one fan - how did you travel to the next one? Did you kind of work in rows and then re-trace a curve to get to where the next one starts? If you ever want to post maybe a pen and paper drawing with some arrows I'd love to see it! All best for unpacking and settling.

Archie the wonder dog said...

The quilt is lovely! I hope you're all settling into your new home!

melissa said...

love you melinda. hope you're getting settled in md.

i love that quilt, "imperfections" and all... although i think you might be being a *bit* hard on yourself because it looks completely amazing!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been running a
blog for? you made running a blog glance easy. The whole look of your site is fantastic, let alone the content material!
My site: nfljerseyswhosalevip.com

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)