Barely coming up for air...

I'm *still* in the throes of holiday crafting.  Yes, the holiday was yesterday, but I don't see my family until next weekend---so their gifts aren't done yet.  I can tell you that if I manage to finish them all, it would be a post-holiday miracle.

Anyway, I have tons of photos to share and projects to write about, but I'm just popping in to show off one thing, my advent calendar:





This is from a tutorial by Elizabeth of Oh, Fransson! on the Sew, Mama, Sew! blog.



I used a variety of fabrics and highlighted more prints than the tutorial suggested.



I also changed the seam allowance for the pockets so more of the background fabric would be seen.  I chose a loopy quilting pattern rather than the meandering stitch.  This is the first time that I've ever used a free-motion quilting presser foot. 





There is a lot of room for improvement in my quilting technique, but I'm still pleased with how it turned out.






I used Kei honeycomb dots for the binding.  Don't you just love a good dot fabric?

This was the first time that I ever hand stitched the binding to the back of the quilt.  It really does look invisible.

I hope your holidays were delightful.  We've been busy reading books, playing with trains, dancing to Bing and doing "dishes!"  Henry would rather roll up his sleeves and drag a chair up to the sink than play with his toys.  Silly guy :)

6 comments:

Britt said...

Wow, that advent calendar is totally faboo!

And don't break Henry of the dishes-washing habit! That'll come in handy down the line... :)

Tania said...

Can you dig me in the ribs somewhere in October next year? I adore your take on an advent festival.

Lindsey said...

Your calendar is beautiful! Are those pockets? Do you put something in there for each day?
Oh how I wish I could quilt.

melissa said...

oh my melinda - this is just amazing! i love every little last detail!!
i'm with linds though, i want to know what you put in the pockets!

Anonymous said...

What a sweet advent calendar!

cmv said...

oh my goodness- this advent calendar is absolutely spectacular! the colors, the patterns the fun... love it!

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)