Hand Quilting Video

I took a series of short videos of my hand quilting last year and posted them on Instagram.  Content on Instagram moves quickly, though, so I also took one longer video to post here on the blog.  It only took me about a year upload it...

In this video you can see how I start a line of quilting.  I always quilt from right to left but I pop the knot and tail of my thread on the left and then my first few stitches stabilize that thread tail and knot from popping back out.  I use both hands to produce the stitches.  Even though I'm right handed, my left hand helps produce each stitch by moving the quilt up and down. 


If you have any further questions, leave them in the comments.  I will email you back.  If you don't have an email address linked to your account, please leave the address in your comment.

I hope you are enjoying your December crafting time. I'll be machine quilting tonight on a project that I hope to show you early in January.

8 comments:

Katie said...

I'm always interested to see the different methods people use to hand quilt. Yours is completely different from mine! Is that a little cork thimble dot you stick on your finger?

Pip said...

Thanks for posting your quilting video, my quilting style is very similar, I'm interested to know what sort of batting you are using?

LethargicLass said...

How many times do you wrap around for making your knot? That was a good video to watch :)

Phoebe said...

So helpful! I'm having the hardest time using a hoop. It's so awkward for me. . . Thank you!!!

Anonymous said...

��������soooo helpful!! Love to learn a different way to hand quilt! I will try your method! Thank you for sharing!

Stephanie said...

Melinda, you make this look so easy! I need to try handquilting again soon. Question - what size thread are you using and also, what specific needle are you using (brand, type, size please!)? I've had the hardest time trying to figure out what needle to use with perle cotton. Can you also share where you purchase your needles? Thanks so much!

Heide said...

Hi Melinda, Carla pointed me to your post about hand quilting. Thanks for the clear demonstration! I have the same question as Stephanie in the previous comment: what size thread are you using and also, what specific needle are you using (brand, type, size please!)?I live in Germany, so I need to find the right places here to purchase those things.
Thanks a lot and have a nice Sunday. Greetings from Germany, Heide

Penelope Q said...

Hi- thank you for your video- I have the same question.. What kind of thread?

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)