Potholder exchange

I just got back from a fantastic weekend in Colorado. I was at Penny's (sewtakeahike) quilting workshop learning curved piecing, improv piecing and paper piecing. I was able to design and make two blocks that I'm crazy proud of. I want to share so much more about the amazing women and stunning sewing skills from the weekend, but I'm afraid I'm gushing too much already. So, you'll have to be patient for a post soon (after I settle down a bit).

Today I'll show you the potholder I made for the exchange that we did over the weekend. I constructed it much like this one and these two. I use a piece of felted sweater as insulation in my potholder. I don't like the crinkling of Insul Bright and wool is flame resistant. This block is the Map of the States block (from Oh, Fransson!).

So, before I reign myself in when I post again, have you ever had a chance to meet someone that really inspires you?  Someone you truly admire?  A quilter, knitter, author, musician, artist, anyone? Did you stammer, have sweaty palms or feel awkward? Or maybe that's just me....

8 comments:

melissa said...

love the pot holder - how cool that you insulated it with an old sweater and i really like the squares where you stitched inside the squares.

and i pretty much act like a akward doob when i meet anyone new... :)

Amanda Jean said...

it was so great to sew with you all weekend long! hopefully we can do it again sometime.

your pot holder is wonderful. i love the colors you used! and i adore the loop. :)

The Mayo Family said...

Hello-
Just stopped by after seeing you were from WI, off of "Crazy Mom Quilts".
Your blog is great & makes me want to run to my machine...
Love the pot-holder.
Will stop again! :)
Blessings~
~Lori
(from WI)

audreypawdrey said...

It was so fun meeting you! I hope to see you again at another retreat in the future, and I hope you get a new splint for your thumb soon! I definitely become awkward around people whom I admire.:)

Tara said...

So, so fun! It always takes me a few days after one of these to find my balance again! Thanks so much for coming! It's so stinking awesome to connect with like minded creators!

Carmen said...

Lucky me that I got to take this potholder home! It was great meeting you!

sewtakeahike said...

It was so nice to finally meet you, Melinda! Wasn't it just a blast hanging out with everyone for the weekend, eating great food? And I'm going to tell you yet again, I love your potholder!! You had me at the loop, lol!

cmv said...

you put a felted sweater inside? you are so brilliant! love these funky squares. fun potholder! and hooray for meeting one of your idols! when i've met mine (like alice walker)i get so nervous that i can't even talk to her. pathetic.

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)