It takes two, baby.

While sewing templates for block #30 together after midnight and without the 
book in front of me, I accidentally created a totally different block.  
I happen to love it and I will definitely include it in my quilt.


Below is the original block #30:

farmer's wife sampler, block 30




I figure that running a farm takes both the farmer and his wife.  
So, here is my block called #112 Farming Duo (until I hear otherwise).



If you have a block encyclopedia book or if you've seen this block before and know a name for it, I'm very interested.  If you look through your encyclopedia and don't see it, I'm even more interested.  

I'd love to learn how to design traditional-type blocks.  There are so many that I can't 
imagine how you you would come up with something completely new.  Although, 
left to my own devices, I could probably only do it by accident anyhow.

Have you ever designed a block of your own (by accident or on purpose)?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just clicked through BlockBase (the EQ version of Barbara Brackman's Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns) and didn't see anything like this.

I have designed a couple of blocks that (I believe) are original. Both were on purpose - the first as a therapeutic challenge to myself.

Dan R said...

I love this block. It would be so great in rows, alternating horizontal and vertical, and on point. Please make 100 and let us know how it turns out!

Rebecca said...

That does look neat! I have designed a block, on purpose. But haven't made it quite yet.

I haven't seen it before. You could look through quilter's cache.

Tania said...

I always reckon the ACCIDENTS are the happiest!

Anonymous said...

I love your new block!

Karen said...

This is so great! I love this duo! Will you keep it in?

Greta said...

Very Nice! I'm not a fan of some of the basket blocks. Would it be okay if I made this block and link back to you? Lovely!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I love the name! What a great block.

nadia said...

Good job. I found that block #30 can be switched around in a few different patterns, so I started playing with all the layouts. Thanks for posting this new one, I may sub some of the blocks that I am not keen on with this.

tusen said...

Looks great. I've made two so far, one planned and one accidental and I like the accidental one much better.

Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) said...

Ha! I like Dan's idea...really, it would be interesting to see how 100 of these would look, but maybe that is a job for EQ7 not QGG! Anyway, it is a really cute block, and will make your FW quilt truly unique :)

melissa said...

what a lovely accident!
both blocks are fantastic

Beezus said...

I have a block encyclopedia, but nothing like this is in it anywhere. It's not the most comprehensive book, but it is all about the traditional blocks. I love it! :)

Ulli said...

I love all your farmer`s wife blocks so much!

sewtakeahike said...

Nice work, Melinda! Your farming duo block is lovely and your fabric choices/combos are so happy!!!

audreypawdrey said...

I am loving your blocks! Love your little invention, too.:)

Amanda Jean said...

You make great looking accidents! I love the name, too. It is a great looking block. The fabrics are delicious.

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)