Finding peace

I decided to hand quilt my voile quilt long before I had ever sewn any of the squares together.  Last summer I knew I wanted a quilt with voile for the front and back, bamboo blend for the batting and hand quilting to keep all of the layers soft and flowing.

And even though that decision had been made, I must admit that I dreaded the quilting part.  I have very weak wrists and thumbs and am limited in the handwork that I can do before I have too much pain and irritation to continue. 

hand quilting


Well, this story has a happy ending.  I have been so quiet here on the blog because I have been so so busy with this quilt.  I have been happily stitching away with relative ease.  I lay the quilt on the floor, and mark some lines with my 12" square ruler and Hera marker.  Then I click the quilt into my Q-Snap frame and sit on the floor with the frame propped up on my legs.  I use a leather sticky thimble on my right middle finger and right hand on top of the quilt with my left hand behind the quilt and I just stitch stitch stitch.  After I have one or two lines done, I start over again with the quilt on the floor to get a good look at what lines need to be done next.  Sure, it takes a lot of hours to complete.  But those hours are pretty lovely.  I get to admire some of the prettiest fabrics and the softest textures around and the needle slides through the fabric and batting like butter.  I now have a delightful rhythm and I rarely get tired of it.

I'm showing the back of this quilt after thread basting but before quilting.  This is just as a reference.  I have about four more hours of quilting left on this project and then it will be done!  I hope to post finished pictures tomorrow.

precious back
 

 I'm linking this post up with the My Precious QAL group and post at kelbysews

6 comments:

Debbie said...

I can only imagine how lovely that voile must be to hand quilt - so glad you are enjoying it so much!

Anonymous said...

That is just awesome! what an heirloom this is going to be!

Cassie said...

Beautiful! I can't wait to see how it turns out :) I am trying to convince myself that I can hand quilt one of my quilts, but so far I'm not brave enough....

Flaun of I Plead Quilty! said...

So happy I got to see it in person!

Claudia said...

I've been missing not having a project to hand-quilt. Maybe after I've finished all of my FW blocks ....

melissa said...

oh i am in love with this quilt. especially since i got to touch it.
glad you found yourself a frame that works!

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)