Barbie knitting sweatshop

I am aware that these Barbie knitting posts are silly.  Most people tell me I'm crazy for knitting such tiny things for relaxation.  But it works for me.  Using up small bits of stash yarn, starting a project and finishing it in a day or two, working out the technique to knit in the round instead of flat, all of it is helping to scratch an itch I have right now.  I've been working so hard to finish old quilting projects that I have startitis in the worst way.  But if I start a bunch of new quilts right now...I'll have another pile of UFO's to finish next year.  So I just pore over the many Barbie knitting options on this site and stitch away.  I'll get back to quilting soon.

But first, there is a Barbie fashion show.

First up is a relaxed dolman sleeve sweater and trousers.  I picture this as Barbie's lazy weekend outfit.

Barbie knitting

Since my young friend is in Minnesota, Barbie needs a winter hat and scarf.

Barbie knitting

Here is a pastel outfit for a spring day at the botanical gardens.

Barbie knitting

And lastly is a bold power suit with a shaped peplum that is longer in the back and shorter in the front.

Barbie knitting

Henry has recently taken an interest in Barbie since he was introduced to her through Toy Story.  He talks about Barbie's shirt, shoes and wrists.  He talks about her wrists a lot.  I never realized how few of his toys have moving wrists.  Barbie has been walking on the furniture and taking naps with the Handy Manny tools.  I think it is great that he keeps her busy while I'm working on her wardrobe.

15 comments:

Beth said...

Those are so cute. I just showed my daughters and we are all so impressed. They also like how you did her hair!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

That title is too funny! Great outfits, I love the pastel one especially!

Danih03 said...

these are great! Barbie never looked so good. :) Her leggings are so hip(I think....I'm getting old and don't have the fashion sense I used to)!

Amy Friend said...

I think you are crazy only because working this tiny would drive me insane--my knitting skills pretty much end at straight scarves. But these are adorable and the recipient must just feel so lucky!

Toni said...

Is it wrong that I'm starting to get a little jealous of Barbie's wardrobe? I could use that hat/scarf combo this winter! And as a fellow mom, I say whatever you have to do to stay sane is just fine!!

Jilly said...

That is super fun! I totally want her power suit, and I want to get to have a day at the Botanical Gardens! I'll bet there's tea and cucumber sandwiches involved. Seriously, Barbie gets all the fun.

Linda F. said...

I want to see those leggings in progress on the double pointed needles. Is that what you used? Unbelievable! So much fun to see this whole wardrobe.

Gina said...

I love your Barbie knitting sweatshop posts! I can not get over how cute, tiny, and perfect the outfits are!!

Nilya said...

Love your knitting too!!!

LethargicLass said...

I for one am loving seeing the tiny fashions... And if knitting is what you need right now then I am all for it :)

Sarah said...

I love the bat wing top in the first photo. I want one! My boys love playing games with Barbie in them too.

Anonymous said...

oh your barbie creations are amazing!!
lily's mind is going to explode when she sees all this!!
you're the best!!
-m.

marjory said...

Melinda, how fun! Going through my scraps right now and anticipating making some wardrobes for all the grandkids. Thanks so much for the link. Love keeping up with you and yours through your blog! Love Marjory

Kelly O. said...

I just LOVE knitted Barbie outfits!! They are often so much more modest than the ones you find in the stores... your pattern choices are so stylish! makes me wish I could knit for my little girls barbies... maybe I could make Barbie a quilted jacket?

Amanda Jean said...

these Barbie outfits are so good! I love that you are using these as an outlet to NOT start more quilts. I can relate to the struggle that you have because I have it, too. :) you are a smart lady!

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)