Fancy Block a day late

Remember that workshop I went to in April (that I might have gushed a bit about?).  Well, I've been in contact with the members of that retreat ever since and we've decided to start a new sewing challenge.  The goal is to use our block design / improv piecing / paper piecing skills on a regular basis.  You have to use the skills to keep them fresh in your mind because it is a totally different way of thinking about piecing.  Our goal is one block per week.  That's a steep order to add to some very busy sewing tables.  But, I typed it out loud now, and there is no going back.  

For my first week, I made an improv house block for Jenny in the  Sew Buzzy Bee.  She asked for blocks to represent each of our houses.  My actual house has two bay windows in front, so I started with the windows and built up from there.  My house has dark green siding on three sides and brick on the front.  All of my brick colored fabrics were just too dark, so I went with berry herringbone Joel Dewberry instead.  The print certainly has texture, even if it isn't really brick shaped.

house block for innerpiece

In retrospect I should have done more drawing with graph paper to come up with a window size and door size to fit on a 12.5" square.  If I had a 15 or 16" square, I could have the windows on either side of the door, and I could have fit the two dormers with windows on the second floor and maybe the chimney.  I've done a few house blocks lately, but they've been tiny and lacking detail, so this was definitely a challenge for me.  Next time I improv piece for this challenge, I hope to play with more crazy angles or some curves.  I also pledge to do a sketch. 


close up

Amanda at crazy mom quilts posted her block here.  I hope that Tara, Carmen and Audrey will join in soon, too.  The plan is to post on Fridays.  So, today is a Fancy Block Friday, just a day late.

Now I have to ask, how are you challenging yourself in your craft?

9 comments:

Amanda Jean said...

oh! I LOVE it! the herringbone is a nice brick substitute. the windows are adorable. they make me smile.

Anonymous said...

I love the furry dark eyebrows over the windows - they give the house such personality. Today I started sewing the curves on my double wedding ring. They're a little wavy, but with about 350 curved seams to go, I'm sure they'll get better with practice!

MissesStitches said...

Your brick fabric is a very good representation. Paper piecing and improv is so much fun, isn't it. I'm glad the group of you have agreed to keep at it.

Suzanne said...

Adorable and the button doorknob really seals the deal.

Brandi said...

SO FUN! I love this! New to your blog from Amanda's! :)

CityHouseStudio said...

This is awesome - love it!!!!

sewtakeahike said...

It's adorable, Melinda! I love your fabric choice for the bricks!

audreypawdrey said...

It is so cute! I love the herringbone fabric for the bricks, and the windows are cute too! I am excited about this challenge, and I am determined to have one next week.:)

elnorac said...

Waaaaaah! Love everything about this... The herringbone print is so much more interesting than a brick print would have been. Plus, no one would expect it to line up from piece to piece cuz it's wonky anyway. Yum!

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)