Pippi and a Bike

My poor friend, Muriël, has been waiting and waiting for her Pippi Longstocking themed block since February.  It is sometimes hard to be in such a group of talented ladies when they keep on churning out one gorgeous idea and design after another and my brain can't always keep up.  My idea finally came at the beginning of May (then I stalled for another 3 weeks on finishing the hand embroidery).

Pippi's shoe

But now Pippi's shoe and stocking are done.  The washi tape fabric seemed like the perfect mix of stripes and patches and hodgepodge colors for Pippi.  Her shoes may have been black in the books, but I'm certain that she wouldn't pass up on navy plaid shoes with purple soles.  Unfortunately this shoe is falling apart.  Maybe she'll add some duct tape next week? 
 
Pippi's shoe--detail

The shoe was paper pieced, the calf was curve pieced, the shoe stitching is embroidery floss and the shoelaces are ribbon embroidery with some thread tacking.


In another tiny bit of news, I was in a key fob swap in May.  This is what I sent out in the mail yesterday (yes, the absolute last day to ship--at least it wasn't 4 months late).  I used the Heather Ross bike fabric and added some machine thread sketching on the bike frame and some hand embroidery on the bike seat.  I hope my partner likes it!

key fob front

I still have a ton of Farmer's Wife blocks to post but they'll have to wait for another day. Today was my husband's birthday (babysitter + sushi date + mini golf + arcade games) and then we meet up with my brother and niece tomorrow for a visit for Henry's birthday (Monday).  You've gotta love a fun and busy summer.

18 comments:

felicity said...

I love your fob and I looove Pippi's leg! Muriel is going to be very happy.

Wendi said...

I lOve Pippi's leg and crazy shoe! The fabrics are perfect.

verykerryberry said...

Your pippi block is amazing! I love how the sole is coming away, it makes a really dynamic design

Anonymous said...

I'm certainly not a poor friend, I'm a super lucky friend for getting such a cute block!! Thank you!!

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

Your Pippi block is fabulous - wow!!

Amy Friend said...

Great design Melinda!

Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) said...

Pippi's boot is so great, I love it!

I hope you had great fun with your hubby and that Henry's birthday is very, very happy!! How nice to have both your boys' b-days in one week :)

Ginette said...

Have a great weekend!! Birthdays are so much fun!
I love the boot and the fob is fabulous! I was thinking of making some fobs myself... may I ask what the finished size is?

Debbie said...

oh wow - I loved Pippi as a child!! What an awesome block! Sounds like a fun night out for you & hubs!

melissa said...

love your pippi block! the detail on the boot sole is perfection!!

love the bike key fob too. you are always so creative and talented... luckily you're so kind and awesome or i might have to let my jealousy get the best of me and hate you just a little :)

Angela Nash said...

That stocking and shoe are amazing!!!

Hope you had a ton of sushi/mini golf fun. And Happy Birthday to Henry on Monday. So much fun!

Susan said...

Love your work! The detail in pippi block is wonderful! And as I cyclist, the key fob would be a treasure in my pocket!

Tania said...

GASP!

Now you've gone and raised the bar again. Pippi's foot is PERFECT.

Alli said...

Pippi's shoe is fantastic! It's got so much character! :)

Anonymous said...

You should never feel intimidated.....your designs are fantastic..... original, and "quirky". And your execution is stunning!
(Always enjoy your fabric selections on your Farmer's Wife blocks too!)

helena said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sparky said...

your shoe is out of this world fabulous...

Unknown said...

This is amazing...are you going to make a pattern? I would totally buy!! Such sweet memories!!

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)