Crazy Farmer's Wife Quilt Binge

Sometimes I post a lot of things on the blog in quick succession.  I want to assure all of my crafting friends that I don't really sew this fast.  In fact, when I'm in the middle of a crazy craft binge is when I skip some sleep, some meals, and some showers and I'm not very social--including blogging.   I can't be bothered to take pictures and find words to describe what I'm doing until after the moment (or week) has passed.  So, this batch of blocks were made about a week ago.  I would like to add that this sewing spurt was sponsored heavily by my patient husband who would pour the cereal and milk or make a turkey sandwich for me to keep me going.  (Love that man.)

First up is Peaceful Hours with Heather Ross's bagged fish.  I love this print so much that it had to be in the quilt.  I used freezer paper templates for the center piece and all of the orange pieces.  Then I sewed the blue stripe pieces on the edges and trimmed off the extra fabric to make the squares.  This ended up being a pretty easy block when constructed that way.

farmer's wife sampler, block 65


Shooting star was made entirely with freezer paper templates.  I'm really enjoying green and pinky/purple together.

farmer's wife sampler, block 78


This block is not in the Farmer's Wife book.  I learned about this block from Amy's blog post here.  I don't have the book she referenced but I did the math myself to make it a 6" finished block.  Mrs. Fay must have been a special lady to get a block named after her.

Mrs. Fay's friendship block


This block came from Amy's same post again.  I changed some of the light and dark values from Amy's version

prairie flower block


I thought that squash blossom would be harder than it actually was.  I used the templates from the book and a boatload of starch.

farmer's wife sampler, block 86


The Wild Duck block pattern came from Quilter's Cache.  The map fabric may be a busy background, but it made me think of the birds that fly over the city during migration.  I did the block math to make it a 6" finished block. 

wild duck block


And, lastly, here is a second attempt at the Cups & Saucers block.  In my last version I used the same Suzuko Koseki button print with a busy print from Modern Meadow but the flying geese didn't show up at all.  The pale pink in Bliss doesn't seem like it matches well, but it does allow all of the geese to shine.

farmer's wife sampler, block 25


Does anyone need to remind you to eat and sleep when you feel creative?

16 comments:

felicity said...

These blocks are really coming along, Melinda! I think I might love Squash Blossom best of this bunch...

Cassie said...

I think your peaceful hours block might be my favorite in the history of ever. Also, Mrs. Fay is a lovely block and I love the colors you picked. Great blocks! As for forgetting to eat/sleep, I usually stick to naptime sewing so I get a pretty strong reminder when craft time is over :) But don't try to talk tome during naptime, you won't get very far haha.

Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) said...

They're lovely!!!!! And I suspect that you're still holding out on us...come on, show us everything you've got!!!!

Debbie said...

oh what lovely blocks!

Donna said...

Your blocks are great! I go on sewing binges, too, some weekends. Throw off my internal clock, and then end up like a starving zombie at work on Monday counting the hours til I can nap and asking everyone if they have any candy or snacks... :-)

Ulli said...

I like your blocks so much,I think some of them would turn out fantastic in a whole quilt!!!

Kim said...

I always love seeing your blocks, the fabrics you choose always work so well together.

Lisette G said...

I'm in love with the very first block! The fish print is to die for and I love the way you put it all together! Gorgeous!

One Wise Girl said...

I love the fabrics you are using. This is going to be amazing when done.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

I love these blocks! Wild ducks is definitely a winner - it's fabulous!

Jennie said...

Your blocks look fantastic. I love the extra blocks you've chosen and the button fabric is to die for!

Jennie said...

Your blocks look fantastic. I love the extra blocks you've chosen and the button fabric is to die for!

Katie said...

I so wish I had some of that fish in bags fabric. When it came out I wasn't really a fan, but now that it's gone, I've decided I love it! Oh well....

Grey Cat said...

I love your Peaceful Hours block! And I'm very jealous of your collection of prints with text in them. Not that I'd ever know what to do with them, or be brave enough to cut into them. ;)

melissa said...

oh melinda - they are all so gorgeous individually but when you line them up they are just stunning... this is going to be THE most beautiful quilt in the world.

April said...

Your blocks and piecing are so great. Found you on flickr and will be adding you to my reader! :)

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)