Farmer's Wife Binge Part II

Somebody talked me into posting all of my finished block photos at once. Blame Jennifer if this post seems obnoxious with a dozen block photos.

The Log Cabin block is very simple, but it seemed too classic to not include it.  Especially when I could include so many different fabrics in it without having to match a bit.

log cabin


I love the design of Blockade.  I know I'll be returning to this again soon.  I was inspired by this photo and found directions here.

blockade


Double T is such a striking block design.  I found the block pattern at Quilter's Cache but changed the dimensions and construction.

double T


It seemed to take forever to find the right mix of fabrics for this Tulip block, but that pink floral is one of my favorites.  I used templates and starch to complete it.

farmer's wife sampler, block 96


I fell in love with this block from Lynne at Lily's Quilts.  That block was in a block of the month program and I didn't know if I had the right to use it for my quilt, but Lynne mentioned that the Card Trick block was very similar.  I used the pattern here but resized it for 6.5" blocks.

card trick


I had Homemaker pieced for a very long time, but the y-seams were a mess.  So I took them apart and redid them with this tutorial.  It looks much better now.

farmer's wife sampler, block 47


I adore this Twisting Star block.  I started with the tutorial at Quilter's Cache but I resized it and drew new paper pieced templates by hand.

twisting star


Checkerboard was the perfect block to showcase some lovely little fabrics. 

farmer's wife sampler, block 19


Silver Lane ended up being only a tiny bit easier to sew than I thought it would be...

farmer's wife sampler, block 79


...while Flower Garden Path was even more miserable than I was already expecting.  Avert your eyes from the terrible points on this block.  I'll need some healing time before I ever attempt that one again.

farmer's wife sampler, block 36


Which makes Double Spinwheels a terrific block to recover with.  I went with a low volume palette, but this one could easily go bright and bold.  Tutorial at Quilter's Cache and resized.

double spin wheels


And last in this dozen of blocks is Pine Tree.  If I don't have HST's down pat by this time in the quiltalong, I never will.  :)

farmer's wife sampler, block 67


I still have one block to make to get my full 121 for the layout I've chosen. But, I'm on break from the Farmer's Wife for awhile.  Do you ever stop one block short of the finish line just to catch your breath?  Even though I have a few blocks to redo, I still want to pause and make the last official block when I'm in the mood to do it and not just because I feel I have to.

16 comments:

Prof. S (the enchanted bobbin) said...

Oh. My. God. They are amazing!!

Thank you for all the eye candy, it is far, far, far from obnoxious...it is a DELIGHT to see all of these beautiful blocks :)

I think your Flower Garden Path is a really cute block, and its piecing imperfections (minor, really) just show that you are human like the rest of us.

We have to do another sampler when this is all done (I'm up for it if you are)...I still find myself looking at fabric in terms of its wee little block potential.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

They're all fabulous!

Flaun of I Plead Quilty! said...

Twisting Star is my favorite! Great job, M.

stephmabry said...

I love them all as well! I love looking at these blocks and picturing them as big as a whole quilt - one HUGE double spin wheels block would be fantastic! :) Now i just have to master quiltmath... :(

Kylie said...

They're so wonderful Melinda. I can't pick my favourite. You must be feeling such a sense of achievement getting to the end of this marathon.

Cassie said...

I love them! I'm going to be so sad when you are done all these little blocks! At the same time, I can't wait to see the awesome quilt this turns into....

Sarah said...

I adore the Twisting Star block too. The fabric combo gives it so much depth.

felicity said...

only one left? holy crap - congratulations. Don't stop now! (I love them all, and I especially love your hilarious commentary).

verykerryberry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
verykerryberry said...

What I meant to say was that your fabric choices make these traditional blocks so fresh and zingy! And such a lot of work Melinda! Amazing

Nic said...

Another great pile of blocks. I'm looking forward to seeing the quilt top come together.
As for flower garden path. Love the colours. And if you want to give it another go, I can let you know how I put mine tog. From memory, I ignored the directions in the book's diagram and carved it out into sections that made sense to me.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blocks! Absolutely beautiful. I wish I could get up the steam to crack on with my farmers wife quilt.

CityHouseStudio said...

This was such fun to scroll through your farmers wife blocks! I'm completely in love with blockade, I want to make that block NOW! And all of your blocks, and fabric choices are just perfect. It makes me want to make another Farmer's wife quilt!

Lindsey said...

I totally know what you mean by waiting on the last block. It seems like a momentous occasion. It must be special and you have to be mentally and emotionally prepared. -Or at least that's how it would be for me. Like when I have the last part of a really good book. I don't want to rush it but savor every word.

melissa said...

oh my gosh - i can't believe you're one block away from the 121!!
this line up is gorgeous, and, as a bonus, it includes the new love of my life - your card trick block.

Lynn Koeppen said...

These are great! Thanks for the inspiration!

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)