Scissors

Have I ever mentioned here that I was invited to join the Ringo Pie Bee? When I got the invite back in November I actually squealed and jumped up and down---more than twice (but I won't admit how many more). Ringo Pie is full of some of the most talented block design and paper piecing ladies on the web.  The first round folks wanted a break so we began again in March.  And...

...then I promptly got too nervous to make Ayumi's block.

So now it is June and I'm finally finished with one block for my dream bee.

hand me down scissors


Amber requested sewing themed blocks.  After just seeing all of the lovely designs to come out of the Sew Out Loud group, I wasn't sure where to start.  I had considered making my design for Sew Out Loud, but I wanted Amber to get a new design from me.  Then late last week I had a brainstorm while using these scissors that have been handed down enough times that I don't know who the original owner was.  They are heavy and sharp and huge and I don't often grab them, but they feel so good in my hand.

I drew the design on June 8th.  I picked fabrics on the 10th and finished the block yesterday.  When the right inspiration strikes, I can move mountains!

I used a stamp for the screw and I did some thread sketching around the top blade of the scissors to differentiate it from the background.  There are a few curved seams and y-seams thrown in there for good measure.

Amber's Sewing Block

I was SO nervous to make my first block for this bee.  Now that I've finished it I love it so much.  I've already warned Amber that it may take a few days to find the heart to put it in an envelope.  I really love this block and I wish it was staying here.

What is your favorite thing that you've made and then given it away?

14 comments:

Amy Friend said...

Congratulations on the invitation to Ringo Pie! Your first block is fantastic. I like the stamped screw quite a bit as well as the curved bits. I think I may have this same pair of scissors in my house. They came with my husband when I married him and I am not sure where he got them from but they are old!

CityHouseStudio said...

You did an amazing job with this, wow! I'm impressed!
My favorite thing I've made and given away was my last doll quilt for the DQS12, fully of yummy Heather Ross fabric.

verykerryberry said...

It is a stellar start to yoiur blocks in Ringo pie! Wonderful, you really captured scissors, such clean crisp shapes!

Jo @ life in lists said...

Wow, great block! I bet Ayumi will love it, when you finally manage to put it in the post. I love all the detail on the scissor blades.

Donna said...

WOW! that's amazing - the piecing, but the fabric choices, too!!! awesome!

Debbie said...

oh wow - you did such a nice job on this block!

Lindsey said...

Beautiful! I am continually amazed by you.
My favorite thing was a shawl for my sister, "big blue".

melissa said...

oh melinda i just love this block!
the way you captured the shine of the scissors with all the different greys... oh it's just so lovely...

felicity said...

Gorgeous! I loved my mini quilt that I made in the For the Love of Solids swap.

rachael {imagine gnats} said...

wow!! this block is amazing :)

One Shabby Chick said...

It's made me all teary - it is just so perfect. I just can't even get over all the amazing details....and if you want to keep it for yourself, I'll understand. But I'd be thrilled to death if you decide to mail it to me :-)

sewtakeahike said...

it's so fabulous, Melinda. I can't even begin to tell you. I love your fabric choices and the shape of the scissors is so lifelike!

krislovesfabric said...

Wonderful block...you had me at the shading!!

Kelly said...

I love this block and I've pinned it to my "Quilty Goodness" board on Pinterest (with proper credit, of course!). Feel free to follow me if you'd like: http://pinterest.com/lipglass/quilty-goodness/

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)