In March of 2011, Lynne of Lily's Quilts started the Dresden Quilt Along. At that point, I had never sewn any curves and I liked the big bold design. I decided that I wanted to break up the design of the dresden a little and make a up few of the petals with scraps.
And then I put the project down for over two years. I knew that I
didn't want the center or the background to be just one piece of fabric,
but I decided that I didn't have enough gray fabric choices to match
the design in my head.
Well, I've had plenty of grays for a long time now and my collection of low volume and text fabrics has improved drastically also. I just needed to make the time to do it. Over the retreat weekend I made the background but there was a huge bubble in the dresden and the background. On good advice from Jessie Aller, I made a dart along the join of two petals and the join of two quarters of the background. I did not record that in pictures because it wasn't my proudest quilting moment, however I am pleased with the result now.
I quilted this in concentric circles with my machine for the plate and the background and by hand for the center. The finished quilt is 31" square and will hang in my sewing space.
As much as I hate having so many unfinished projects hanging over me, I think this one was well worth the wait.